A Wonderful Winter Workout!
Here is a wonderful winter workout for you to do at home. You don’t need any equipment for this one, and it can be done in your lounge room if the weather is not nice enough to go outside. It’s perfect also to do in your hotel room when you are travelling for work.
The greatest disadvantage of exercising at home is that you can easily get distracted. It’s important that you prioritise this time for you, so a few helpful hints on how to do that are:
- Put your phone in another room so you don’t hear it ping;
- Let family members or flat-mates know that you are not to be interrupted for 20, 30, 45mins;
- Reward yourself (not with cake!!) if you get through your workout without interruptions.
Light warm-up – jog or march on the spot then stretches of the upper body, hamstrings, quads & calves.
- 2min step-ups – if there is no step in site, do little jumps back and forth
- Jump Squats x 20
- Mountain Climbers x 20
- Push-ups x 20 – from knees or toes
- Lunges – 15ea leg
- Elephant walks x 10
- Sit-ups or Crunches x 20
- Plank 45 sec
- Repeat 3-5 times – depending on how much time you have or how many calories you want to burn!
Cool Down – walk for 3-5mins, then stretch quads, hamstrings, calves and upper body.
Jump Squats – touch the ground with both hands just in front of your toes. Jump up into the air with your hands above your head. Easy version is to stand up and put your hands above your head, harder version is a BIG jump.
Mountain Climbers – start in plank position with your hands on the floor slightly wider than shoulder width. Draw in your abdominals and drive one knee into the chest then quickly place it back down and bring the other leg into your chest. Continue with right, left, right, left knees “running” to the chest. Prevent bouncing up and down in your body by keeping abs tight.
Elephant Walks – standing up, bend forward until your hands reach the ground, then walk out on your hands until you are in the push position, and then walk back on your hands until you stand back up.
Of course, the health and fitness benefits are countless, so find a way somehow, someway to get your muscles moving.